Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Maiden Voyage!

Welcome to the launch of my new blog:

Mommy's Tri-ing!

I started it as a way to journal about training for my very first triathlon: the Aflac Iron Girl in Syracuse on Saturday, August 7, 2010.

Why tri?

I really have no idea where and when I got the urge to do a triathlon. Until recently, I had never even know anyone who had done a tri. I don't swim, bike, or run regularly, so it's not like I was looking for kick things up a notch. Whatever and whenever it was, I know it's been a few years that I've had this idea in my head, but I've never been motivated enough to actually do it...until now!

Last year the Iron Girl came to town and afterward I was so disappointed that I hadn't done it. Those of you who know me probably know that my husband and I have been trying to have a second child for about 3 years. Because of this, I've put off a lot of goals thinking that, once I do have a second child, that I can move on and accomplish these goals. Lately, a lot of frustration has built up because thoughts of "once I do have a second child" have been replaced with "if I have a second child." All this uncertainty has been driving me crazy because I've put my life on hold...until now!

I decided this would be the year to reach at least one goal: get pregnant or participate in a tri. However, I was nervous: Do I register for the race and possibly lose my entry fee if I get pregnant? Or do I wait to register and possibly have the race sell out? Luckily my problem was solved because an Iron Girl rep informed me that I can get a refund if I get pregnant.

So, on New Year's Eve, I got out my credit card (actually, it was my husband Dan's...thanks Honey!) and registered. Only one thing will get me out of this now!

Now What?!?!

Yesterday I registered this blog and that day marked 200 days to go until the race. I can be ready in that amount of time, right?!?! I have started some training already. My family has a membership at the North Area Family YMCA and they have a lot of programs to help you train. I've listed below my current training and fears for each discipline:

Swimming:
This is the area I'm fearing the most. I'm an average swimmer at best and have little endurance. Luckily, I'm currently participating in their Level 2 Swim Clinic and I'm working on my endurance. After 2 weeks I'm noticing a little improvement, so I guess I have some hope if I still have 6 1/2 months.

Biking:
My biggest fear hear is getting a flat. The Y will be holding clinics on changing a flat, so hopefully I can master that. I also don't like hills, but I hear the course for this race is relatively flat. Yes! I'm currently taking what the Y calls the 8-Week Ride which is a spinning class which starts you out at only 15 minutes and builds you up to 1 hour. I'm doing pretty good so far except my butt hurts. I'm sure I'll get used to that in no time.

Running:
No clinics yet due to the lovely January weather in Syracuse. I have a left hip that acts up once in awhile, so this is my concern here. I guess worse come to worse, I can walk it as long as they don't close the course on me.

So, if you're reading this, I hope you stay with me and come along for my ride. I'm sure there will be some ups and downs in the next 6 1/2 months, but hopefully it will be a good experience that I can benefit from. Please add comments if you have any thoughts, questions, suggestions, etc. Any help I can give or receive (especially receive!) will be great.

That's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment