Thursday, April 29, 2010

100 to Go!

Today marks 100 days to go until my first sprint triathlon, the Aflac Iron Girl Syracuse Women's Triathlon on Saturday, August 7th. On this milestone day, I would like to reflect back on the days leading up to today and look forward to the next 100 days and beyond.

Looking Back
I really have no idea what made me want to attempt a tri, but it's been in the back of my mind for a few years now. I can't remember where or when, but a few years back I ran across a book called "Slow Fat Triathlete" by Jayne Williams. Jayne proves that you don't have to be skin, bones, and muscle with 1% body fat to complete a tri, so I think this is what motivated me to attempt a tri...someday.

Due to motherhood and secondary infertility issues, someday was put off for a few years. I finally decided to stop putting my life on hold and actually live it, so I signed up for the Iron Girl on the first day registration was open.

Since that day, I have accomplished many things:
  • I attended a 7-week swim clinic at the YMCA. On day one, I couldn't swim two lengths of the pool without gasping for air and having to resort to a breaststroke. At the end of that first session, I cursed the day I signed up for the race thinking the swim would defeat me. By week three, I was able to do all the lengths using a freestyle stroke and by week six, I was able to swim 900 yds without stopping to rest.
  • I attended the YMCA's 8-Week Ride group cycle class. Since "graduating" from this class, I have been a regular participant at the 6:00 AM weekday classes and have purchased a pair of cycling shoes.
  • I have increased my run time from 20 minutes to 34+ minutes. Running caused pain in my hip, but I've also purchased a proper pair of running shoes from Fleet Feet which have done miracles for me. Thank you Sarah for all of your help!
  • I have lost 9 pounds. Although I wish I had lost more, I know that this is the best way to get it off and KEEP it off.
  • I have met some great people: Kelly Covert (local triathlon "rock star"); Sue Montminy (8-Week Ride instructor, Core Conditioning instructor, and Total Health Coordinator at the YMCA); George, Katie, Kelle, and Matt (cycle instructors); Debbie and Shioban (8-Week Ride classmates and first time triathletes like me); my swim clinic classmates (Sorry! can't remember names!); Patty Hendry (Cuts instructor); and the list goes on and on!
Here is the time I've spent since January 1st:
  • Swim: 11 hours, 45 minutes; 16,325 yds
  • Bike: 21 hours, 45 minutes (no distance, cycle classes)
  • Run: 2 hours, 42 minutes (no distance, mostly treadmills)
  • Weight Training: 25 hours
  • Yoga: 2 hours
  • Abdominal Class: 1 hour
GRAND TOTAL: 2 days, 16 hours, 12 minutes
Not "spectacular" but pretty good if you ask me!

The Iron Girl's mission is to empower women toward a healthy lifestyle and, so far, I think I have been able to accomplish this.

Looking Forward
Although I have accomplished a lot in the last few months, I still have much more ahead of me:
  • Get used to open water swimming
  • Start getting out on my actual bike after it gets made over from a mountain bike to a hybrid
  • Get faster running
  • Increase core strength
  • Brick training
  • Cross the finish line!
It is going to be a bittersweet moment when (not if!) I cross the finish line. In the last few years, I have had two goals in life: finish a sprint triathlon and have another child. As it looks right now, my first goal will be accomplished, but not my second. If I had a choice between the two, I wish it were the second. However, when I cross the finish line, I will have proved to myself and many others that I can achieve something I set my mind to. Unlike training for a triathlon, when it comes to getting pregnant, there are so many factors that I have absolutely no control over. I'm hoping my husband and son will be there to meet me as I finish. Every month I don't get pregnant, I realize more and more what a miracle my son Alex is. When I cross the finish line, I want him to be there to help me remember that I'm a winner no matter what happens in the fertility department of my life. As my blog is titled, Mommy is definitely trying/tri-ing to do her best, and that's all I can ask of myself. Not everything is going to go my way in life, but I just have to continue to fight and do my best. Hopefully this is a great lesson I can teach Alex.

Although my hair looks a little funny all pulled back, I love this picture because I love to cuddle with Alex. I feel so loved when he's in my arms like this.

Life After August 7th
Once I cross the finish line and participate in the post-race festivities, I will go home to hydrate and sleep because I have my 25th high school class reunion to attend that evening. I'm probably going to have a beer in one hand and a big glass of water in the other that night.

A couple days after the race, I've got a massage in my plans....ahhhhhhhhh!

What will happen in my triathlon future? I'm not sure. I'll decide within that week after. Hopefully it won't be my last. I have visions of adding some sprint tris in 2011 and maybe go to Olympic distance in 2012. No grand visions of Half Ironman, but who knows!!!!

TTFN! 100 days to go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment