Monday, May 24, 2010

Busy, Busy, Busy!

Well, I can definitely say I am not bored being unemployed. I'm not quite sure how I'll get all this tri training in if and when I do get a job, but in the meantime, I'll just plug away.

I'm definitely tired and sore because Coach Kelly has been keeping us busy with her training plan. Six other women have signed up for coaching with Kelly, so I look forward to getting to know them and get some training in with them.

Now, back to everything I've been doing. Last time I wrote, I was recovering from a tumble off my bike. I'm happy to report, my bruised knee didn't turn into anything serious and it is healing nicely. Here is a day by day account of my training.

Wed, May 19
Since I didn't do the run Tuesday because of my knee, I thought about doing it today. Since it was still a little stiff, I decided just to do a 10 min warm up on the elliptical to avoid the pounding. Good decision! I then did 30 min of strength training using a workout from Tosca Reno's book The Eat-Clean Diet Workout. Right after, I had my 1-on-1 with Kelly and discussed some goals in addition to a little drill to get some negative talk out of my head. After, I did my swim which included two drills: 6-Kick Switch (Hated it!) and Fingertip Drag (Loved it!)

Thu, May 20
Did the group ride again and I'm happy to report I stayed upright the entire time. Woo hoo!

Fri, May 21
Today I was scheduled for my heart rate run. My short stubby legs couldn't keep up with the treadmill. Afterward I found out something messed up and I didn't get the correct readings. Ugg! Followed up with another Tosca strength training routine.

Sat, May 22
Today I did my first brick and decided they should be called cinder blocks instead. Went for a ride to Phoenix and back. Had an unplanned break when I had to wait for the drawbridge over the river.



Got home and felt horrible when I had to ignore my son asking me to help him with something. Am I a horrible mom for ignoring him or a good mom for setting a good example by being fit and healthy? I set out for a 15 min run which was more of a shuffle instead of a run. I thought I was going to die, but I made it! Then I remembered that today was kids VS parents at Alex's lacrosse game. Luckily the parents didn't try too hard and I survived. Sore legs, especially shin splints, bothered me the rest of the day. Next brick, I'm trying an ice bath.

Sun, May 23
Ahh! A recovery swim was scheduled for today. Did this at the East Area YMCA so Alex could play on the water slides. Another woman was swimming a couple lanes down and she was going pretty fast. At first I was excited because I noticed we were touching one of the walls at the same time. Then I realized I was doing one lap in the same amount of time she was doing two. Oh well!

Mon, May 24
I was expecting today to be a rest day, but no such luck. Today was another bike/run brick. Bike went well until I was almost home and a neighbor's dog started chasing me and tried to bite my foot. Luckily he didn't get me. I decided not to call animal control to complain that he was unleashed, but next time good old Noodle won't be so lucky.

After I calmed down, I set out for a 30 min run. It was pretty hot out, so I ended up walking part way. Even with walking I was able to do a little over two miles. Slower than normal, but that should get better as I continue to practice my bricks.

After my heart stopped pounding out of my chest, I settled into my first ice bath

(I know...where's the ice? Most of it melted by the time I got the pic taken.)

with some lunch and some Clean Eating cookies


Well, I'm off to bed to rest for another busy day.

TTFN!
75 days until Iron Girl!!

No comments:

Post a Comment