Tuesday, May 11, 2010

JJ's Makeover

Are You Kidding Me?!?!?!?
This is what I woke up to on Mother's Day:

Why do the moms have to have snow on Mother's Day? Why can't it be the dads? Because we're tough and can take it! Hope all you moms out there had a great day!

Introducing the New and Improved JJ!
First, I need to explain "who" JJ is. Since the cycle leg is the longest, I figured I needed to give my bike a name. We'll be spending a lot of time together and developing a love/hate relationship with each other. And, like Wilson in the movie "Castaway," I might even start talking to it. (When I start hearing it talk back, I think I'll retire from triathlons!) So, why not name it? I came up with JJ because the color scheme of my bike reminds me of the color scheme of the car NASCAR driver Jimmie Johnson (initials "JJ") drives. So, JJ it is!

JJ started out as a mountain bike. My husband bought JJ for me about 6 years ago. I'm not sure why I chose a mountain bike since I will NEVER ride it on a mountain, but I guess it was the "in thing" to do. A little over a week ago, I brought JJ over to the Bike Loft in North Syracuse for a bit of a makeover.

First things to go were the bulky tires which were replaced by sleeker ones:

Then, I had the pedals changed out for ones I could clip into:

Finally, I made a last minute decision to add extenders on my handle bars to make climbing out of the saddle easier:

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, the new and improved JJ:

I don't have any visions of becoming Lance Armstrong on my improved ride, but I do hope to be more efficient than I would have been without the changes. I'm looking forward to getting to know JJ a little bit better in the near future...maybe I should have gotten snow tires instead?

1 comment:

  1. Sweet!! You'll be glad you switched those tires! Much faster and smoother now.

    ReplyDelete