Thursday, May 13, 2010

Nutrition Information Overload!

"You can do all the training in the world and be perfectly prepared, but if you mess up your nutrition then it will all be wasted." - Rinny Carfrae, Ironman Athlete
I give up! I'm waving the white flag because I don't have a clue what, when, and how to eat for my training. Am I eating too many/too few carbs? Too many/too few proteins? Too many/too few fats? I've attended seminars, read books, checked websites, etc. and I'm completely confused. Since January, I've been training 4-6 days a week and I've only lost 10 pounds. I figured the weight would have been melting off. I know the main goal of my training isn't to lose weight, but at the same time, I don't need to be racing with extra weight to carry around.

I do understand the concept of the body going into "starvation mode" when it thinks its not getting enough food and holds onto fat for fuel. Is that what is happening to me? Am I training so much that I'm not consuming enough food to fuel what I'm doing?

I can probably figure it out if I keep a food journal, but I'm horrible at it. I write things down religiously for a few days then I forget and let it slide for days or even weeks. Why can't I have a "mini me" to follow me around to log all my activities and meals each day?!?!

And this is just my daily food intake that I'm confused about. Don't even get me started about fueling for workouts and races! Typically I would just buy good old Gatorade and buy some random protein bar, but NO!!!!! I have to make sure everything has low sugar, the right amount of carbs, some protein, and on and on and..... How am I supposed to figure this all out when I work full time and am the mother of a 5-year old?!?!?!

OK...I'm glad I got that off my chest and vented for awhile. Now, lets get a clear head and think this out. I think what I have to do is experiment. I have a feeling that I'm not getting enough carbs, so lets try increasing them for a week or two and see how you feel. I was able to lose 2 pounds while on vacation in Florida, but I don't have a clue how I did it. Ugggg!! I'm going to do my best to do a log and experiment. I just downloaded an app to my phone that might help. I'll let you know how I do...wish me luck!

Another thing I'm going to experiment with are some products from GU. Yesterday I went on their website and purchased the GU Performance Energy Sampler. It consists of:
  • 9 GU Energy Gels
  • 3 Roctane Gels
  • 2 Chomps Packets
  • 2 GU Electrolyte Brew Packets
  • 1 GU Recovery Brew Packets
Hopefully I can find some combination of these items that works for me. Again, I'll let you know how I do...wish me luck!

Well, I've complained enough for one day. I'm going to play with my new app and see if its something I can work with.

TTFN!
86 days until IronGirl!

No comments:

Post a Comment