Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Was that a Brick or Pavement?

***Got bored with the original template, so I switched it up with a pop of color!***]

Making lemonade is exhausting! Like I said, with unemployment, I'm trying to make lemonade out of lemons. While trying to find employment, I'm using my free time to get in some tri training. Before I even got let go from my job, I had signed up for the 12-week triathlon training program offered by the YMCA. With all my new free time, I'm able to really put in the effort toward this program. I have to say, in the last 3 days, I'm really starting to feel like a real triathlete...which is probably half the battle.

On Monday, I put in a 1,300 yd swim. On Tuesday, that's when really did a lot. First I decided to join the ride-run brick at 9:30 AM. First was a 10.5ish ride. I was a little nervous because I wasn't sure how I'd do riding with the group. I hate being the last one holding up the pack. Everything started off well and I was about 2/3 back when I came to a red light at a pretty big intersection. I was using my clipless pedals for the first time, but I knew enough to undo one foot before coming to a stop. The thing I DIDN'T know is that everyone tends to put the same foot down every time they come to a stop and the foot I tend to put down (my left foot) WASN'T the foot I unhooked. So, down I went. At that point, my pride was the only thing that was hurting. After some adjustments, I continued on bringing up the rear. Oh well. Live and learn! When I arrived back at the van and started getting ready for a short run, I felt my left knee tightening up. Maybe I got injured more than I thought. So, I went inside for some ice and to change out of my sweaty clothes and discovered a nice raspberry on my knee.



So much for my first brick! I continued on with my triathlon themed day by attending my kick-off meeting for the 12-week triathlon training with my new coach, Kelly Covert. Yes! I have a coach! Too cool! She gave us our plan for the week and she and I decided to do our one-on-one consultation on Wednesday (today). I left there sore, yet very pumped that I'll actually have someone to guide me through this journey.

Later on that day, I attended Core Conditioning to tighten up my abs then attended the tri clinic "To Supplement or Not." Needless to say, I went to bed pretty exhausted.

Today I got up and started my triathlon themed morning. After putting Alex on the bus, I headed over to the Y for my half hour of resistance training. I love lifing weights and seeing all the definition in my muscles.

After pumping some iron, I met with Kelly for my one-on-one and we talked about some goals including a test on Friday to set my heart rate zones. NOT looking forward to that!

I wrapped up the morning by doing my swim workout which was the longest one for me yet totalling 1,800 yds. In addition to basic swimming, I had to do two drills: the 6 Kick Switch Drill (didn't like) and the Fingertip Drag Drill (liked a lot). [I'll add links to these when I get on a better computer!] I was a pretty tired girl when I left and I'm still tired as I write this...got to get to bed!

One other cool triathlon thing that happened today was that my GU sample pack arrived. I'll pretend that I'm a triathlete sponsored by them and they were sending me my goodies. Hey, I can dream, can't I?!?!


Well, I think that's it for today. Tomorrow is another group cycle. Note to self: unhook LEFT foot at a red light!!! I don't think I'll have any problem remembering that again...EVER!!!

TTFN!
80 days until Iron Girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment