Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Sun has Set on Another Memorial Day Weekend at "The Bay"



This weekend marked the unofficial start to summer which is kind of scary. When I first signed up for Iron Girl back on New Year's Eve, there were over 200 days to go. as of today, there are only 67...YIKES! Will I be ready? god, I hope so! Will I make a fool of myself? God, I hope not! OK, I need to stop worrying and start feeling good about what I've accomplished!

So, back to what I accomplished this weekend. I felt great after a 50 min run on the treadmill and some strength training at the Y on Friday. We loaded up the van with my bike and our things then headed north to Alexandria Bay. I was looking forward to riding and running in some different surroundings.

Friday night I had a scare that my training would be put on hold for awhile because of an injury from my dog. He was on a leash sitting quietly beside me when he decided that he had enough with a little dog snarling at him. He lunged at the dog and I did all I could to hold him back. In the last year he has gained 10 pounds and is now up to 95 pounds. In the last few months, I have lost 13 pounds and am down to...you don't think I would actually give you my weight, do you? Anyway, I was in sandals which gave me no traction at all. As he was lunging, he was using my feet as launching pads and digging his claws into my skin. When the commotion was over, I was left with a large scratch on my left foot and some bloody cuts and a huge bruise on my right:

It was very sore and I wondered how I would do with cycling shoes and sneakers the next two days.

During the night I woke up a few times feeling pain in my feet. I couldn't believe I might be sidelined because of my dog! Saturday was my cycling day and I was able to get the shoe on. I wasn't sure I would be as lucky with the pounding of a run on Sunday, but after continuing to nurse my wounds, I was able to get a 30 min run in on Sunday. The biggest "problem" I had during my run was avoiding the horse poop left behind by the Amish buggies. I wonder what they think of me when they see me running in my tank top, shorts, and iPod. They must be horrified to see a woman doing that!

Monday was a day off from training, so I worked on my tan and took a VERY QUICK dip to cool off in the St. Lawrence River with water temps in the 60s...BRRRRRR!

Memorial Day
Since its Memorial Day, this is a good time to do my 3 G's since they wouldn't be possible without the freedoms I have:

Gratitude:
* I'm an American
* Family and friends who care about me
* A roof over my head and food on my plate
* Coach Kelly's guidance
* Other women to train with: I've always felt lost because a lot of women I know don't "get me" because they have no interest in fitness, athletics, and sports like I do. I feel content when I am with the women I'm training with because they're like me and "get me"
* My in-laws: I joke about them often (most of it deserved!), but how can you complain when you can visit them in Florida and do yoga here

and in Alexandria Bay and do open water swimming, biking, and running here
NEED PICTURE!

Goals:
1) Get negativity out of my head
2) Improve my swim stroke
3) Improve my core strength
4) Lose a few more pounds
5) Find a job!

Game Plan:
1) More mental exercises like I did with Coach Kelly
2) Practice 6 Kick Switch, Catch, and Fist drills
3) Continue Core Conditioning class and start doing yoga
4) More veggies, salads, etc.
5) Keep plugging away!

TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment