Wednesday, July 7, 2010

One Month to Go!

Today marks one month to go until Iron Girl. On one hand, I feel ready and wish it were occuring today. On the other hand, I'm scared and wish I had another 6 months to train. I suppose it is like planning to have a family. You get scared wondering if you are actually ready (mentally, financially, etc.) to have children. But, once you do, you find a way to make it work. And once August 7th rolls around, I will somehow make it work.

I spent last weekend in Alexandria Bay celebrating the July 4th holiday with my husband's family. I was able to get some training in, but not as much as I would have liked. Because of the heat, I wanted to get my training done early. However, the hubby went off fishing and I was left at the house watching my son and dog. I did have family members there that could have helped, but I felt guilty asking them because there were other children there that needed supervision as well. I guess that "mom guilt" hit me this weekend and I put everything else ahead of my needs and wants. Oh well...

On Saturday I was able to get in a 15 mile bike ride. The wind was brutal, so the first part of the ride I rode into the wind. At times my bike computer only registered about 4 mph. Since I knew I would go faster on the way back, I rode about 35 minutes into the wind figuring it would take me less time to go back. I just couldn't believe HOW fast I rode back: I did the same distance in less than 20 minutes. WOW!!! After the ride, I did a quick 15 brick run. As soon as I got back, I put my flip flops on and headed down to soak my sore legs in the cool river. Ahhhhhh! Below is a pretty picture of the country side that I rode through:



On Sunday I was supposed to get in a run and swim. I got in the run, but it was shorter than planned. Since the heat was brutal, I headed into the town of Clayton hoping to get some shade on my run past all the houses. Unfortunately, there was less shade than I remembered. Crap! Last year, my husband and I ran the Save the River 5K, so I ran the route to see if I would do better than I did back then. Last year, I had to walk quite a bit of the run. This year, I ran the entire thing. I love progress! Part of the run brought us out onto Washington Island. The picture below is from the bridge to the island:



I wish I could live here with this view. I noticed a house for sale on the island and my mother-in-law said it is going for about $400K...yeah, right!!!!

Mom guilt was in the way of doing any training on Monday, so not only was I hit by mom guilt, but also training guilt as well. But, rather than stressing over it, I got up Tuesday morning and moved on. I attended the group training run that night in the brutal heat and did pretty good. A warm up run, followed by 7 hill sprints, follwed by a cool down run. (Actually, I don't think it was actually a cool down run in that heat!) Luckily, one of my training partners lived at the top of the hill, so we kept our drinks in her yard and her mom set up a sprinkler for us. THANK YOU Erin's mom!!!!

Tonight I'm off to Oneida Shores for a CNY Triathlon training tri. Going to be another scorcher. I'm going early to volunteer to set up. I heard that they aren't charging admission into the park today because of the heat, so I think it might be mobbed there. Hopefully not.

Speaking of volunteering, my mom told me yesterday that she thinks she's going to volunteer at Iron Girl. It will be nice to have her there to see the results of my efforts.

Well, better get going and do some job search stuff.

TTFN! 1 month to go!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you are having a great week! I knew you guys could do that run workout!

    ReplyDelete