Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Choices



On Saturday my husband and I took our son Alex to the New York State Fair. Alex LOVES animals, so the first, and pretty much ONLY, thing he wanted to do was go through all the animal barns. Buildings were full of horses, cows, goats, sheep, chickens, llamas, pigs, etc. and we walked up and down every single aisle. While we were walking through the buildings, I saw many families taking care of these animals. They came from all over the state to show their animals in the hopes that they would receive a blue ribbon or some other award. As I watched these families, I really paid attention to the children and wondered what they thought about the whole thing. Did they really want to be there? Did they love taking care of the animals or did they do it just because mom and dad told them to? Were they secretly wishing they could be somewhere else doing something else? Would this be something they do (or EXPECTED to do) for the rest of their lives?

As these questions entered my mind, I wondered if I would be able to do this. Not necessarily farming, but would I be able to live a life that was chosen for me. These families may have been in farming for generation after generation, so the futures of these families may have been determined hundreds of years ago for all I know. Could I do this? Probably not!

I highly doubt that one of the moms there would be able to take the time to train for and complete her first triathlon. If I were in this situation, I would probably go crazy. It made me sad to think there there were many people in those barns that would never be able to make choices like I can. This gave me some motivation to go after some things that have been spinning around in my mind. Unlike these people, I can actually attempt some of these things. So why not go for it?!?!?! Having choices in life is great!

TTFN!

PS...This is one thing that I didn't choose at the Fair!

No comments:

Post a Comment