Sunday, August 8, 2010

Iron Girl Syracuse Re-Cap



I had two big things happen yesterday:
9:05 AM - finished my first triathlon
7:00 PM - I attended my 25th class reunion

At the reunion, we watched a video of our Senior Variety Show. The opening number was the upbeat and happy "I'm So Excited" from the Pointer Sisters and the closing number was the mellow and emotional "Looks Like We Made It" from Barry Manilow. I noticed that either song could apply to my feelings after finishing Iron Girl because I was "so excited" and was happy that we all "made it."

The story of Iron Girl race day actually starts on Wednesday...

Wednesday:
Since I was tapering for the race, I decided not to participate in Wednesday's CNY Triathlon training at Oneida Shores, but volunteered instead. Right before the swim, club president Sam announced that Bike Loft had some Specialized road bike demos that could be used for free for the race. Yes, I said FOR FREE! One one hand, I wanted to stick with a familiar bike. On the other, I wanted to be fast. Familiar VS Fast...hmmmmm...I chose FAST!

Thursday:
The benefit of being unemployed is that you can go sit in front of a bike shop for 1 1/2 hours to wait for a free bike. After dropping Alex off at summer camp, I drove by the Bike Loft to see if anyone was there yet. I was mad to see that someone beat me there, but it ended up being my friend Shioban. So, we spread out a blanket and waited for the store to open. By the end of the day, Shioban, our friend Erin, and I all ended up with Specialized Rubys ranging in price from $2,200 to $8,000. I know what I want for Christmas!

Friday:
Met Shioban and Erin at the Genesee Grande to check in and shop at the Expo.



After, we headed out to Oneida Shores to pick up, test ride, and rack the bikes.



I said good night to Dorothy (I named my bike that because she wore ruby slippers in the "Wizard of Oz.") and headed home to relax and get some sleep...yeah right! I didn't sleep a wink. Ugggg!

Saturday:
I got up around 4:30 AM and headed out around 5:00 AM. At 6:30 AM they directed us out of transition and to the beach. I thought to myself, "What the hell am I doing here?!?!? I don't belong here!!!!" Well, I WAS there and it was too late to turn back. (Actually, I probably could have turned back and ran like hell out of there, but they wouldn't have let me in transition anyway, so I might as well just do the race!) From here, I will break down the day by discipline...

Swim:
They played the National Anthem and we hear the 50+ age group get the 2 minutes to go call then out they go. Then the 45-49 age group heads out. Holy crap, we're next! I hear our 1 minute to go call. GO! My game plan was to start 1/3 back and to the left to avoid as many people as possible, but it didn't help much. Actually, after turning at the first buoy, it wasn't too bad. When I got out of the water I looked at my watch and it was around 10 minutes. Cool! The actual time was 11:01 with a rate of 1:51. (I looked at the results later and calculated that I was 44th fastest in my age group which had 139 people total.)

T1:
I wasn't happy with the distance we had to run to our transition spot. That was worse than the swim. My wetsuit came off with no problems. I went to put my socks on and they felt cold and damp from the morning air and my wet feet. Put my sun glasses on and discovered they had fogged up from the dampness. When I went to wipe them, a lens popped out. Great! Struggled with that for a minute which gave me a bad time of 3:34. Helmet on, grabbed Dorthy, and away we went.

Bike:
I loved Dorothy right away because I felt really fast. I gotta get me one of these! It seemed to take forever to get to the 5 mile sign, but the other signs seemed to come quicker after that. Once back in the park, I had trouble getting unclipped before the dismount sign, but I was able to without falling or injuring myself. It was about 8:30 at that point and I knew Dan and Alex MIGHT be there, but I hadn't seen them yet. Was hoping I would. My bike time ended up to be 1:03:17 (Rate 17.7 for 79th fastest in my age group) which was disappointing. I wanted to get under 1 hour with Dorothy, so I wasn't pleased. I'll admit I was a bit timid on her since I hadn't riden her much. With some extra training I'm sure I would have done MUCH better.

T2:
Running to my spot, I couldn't feel my feet at all. During training, I had numb toes once in awhile, but this was at its worst. When I got to my spot, I took off my shoes and also my socks to check my feet. They were pure white. When I was young, I had frostbite which makes my feet very sensitive to cold. I had to decide: do I put the cold, wet socks back on or do I run with no socks and possibly get blisters? I opted for the cold, wet feet. This transition was 1:58 which again was disappointing.

Run:
As best as I could with my numb feet, I headed out the chute for the run. All of a sudden, I hear Alex cheering for me. I look up and Alex and Dan are right there in front of me waving signs and yelling. I was SO HAPPY to see them. I got a bit choked up which helped me forget about my feet for a bit. I blew them kisses and headed out. I CAN DO THIS!!! As I shuffled along, I was getting passed by EVERYONE. I know I would have done better with feeling in my feet, but for now I have to do what I can. I figured if all I can do is shuffle, then shuffle it is. One thing that wasn't an option in my mind was walking. Like the bike, the 1 mile marker seemed forever to appear, but the turnaround and 2 mile marker came quick. I loved how the people along the street were cheering you on yelling, "Go 360!" or "Go Deborah!" The 2 mile marker was a sweet sight and then I could see the finish arch in the distance. Soon, I could hear the announcer. Oh my gosh, I'm almost there! Into the park gate, along the sand, and down the final chute I go. Dan and Alex are once again cheering me along. I went over to them to slap their hands then down the final stretch. I always sprint hard at the end, but this time, my feet were flying like never before. I pump my hands overhead as I cross the finish line. It's over! My run time was 35:35 (Rate 11:28, 108th fastest in my age group...not happy!)

My total time was 1:55:26 which achieved my goal of less than 2 hours. I found out the average time was 1:55:07. At first, I said to myself that I'm pretty average, but then I rephrased that as I'm an average Iron Girl. The average person in general can't do that, which makes me very proud.

After looking around for them, I was reunited with my boys and got congratulatory hugs, kisses, and high 5s. After eating, congratulating my friends, returning Dorothy to Kansas, I headed home. What I did was pretty cool and I'm looking forward to doing it again next year.

In a few days, I'll blog about what I want to do to improve next year. For now, I'm going to enjoy my victory of finishing.

TTFN! (364 days until Iron Girl 2011?)

1 comment:

  1. You should be proud!! Don't be too quick to think about what you could have done better!! There will always be ways to get better, but sometimes we just have to sit back and be proud of what we just did!!

    ReplyDelete