Sunday, August 22, 2010

Race Report: Willow Bay 5k Run and Fitness Walk for Women



Pre-Race:
The 5K started at 9:00 AM, so I set my alarm for 6:30 AM. Since my son, the human alarm clock, wasn't here to help me get up, I hit the snooze alarm a couple of times and got up at 7:10 AM. CRAP! I wanted to make sure I had breakfast in me by 7:00 AM. I know 10 minutes doesn't seem like a lot, but I tend to get stomach cramps if I eat too close to running, so I was nervous about how I would do.

I got to Onondaga Lake Park/Willow Bay around 8:20 AM which was good. I jogged around a little bit to warm up and ended up seeing some people from the YMCA. We noticed everyone gathering toward the Start/Finish line, so we started to make our way over.

Race:
Our group from the Y was chatting and we ended up near the back of the pack. When the gun sounded, I wasn't too worried because it was a chip timed race and I figured we'd be OK and our time wouldn't start until we crossed the Start line. It was pretty congested at the beginning and I bobbed and weaved my way around some slower people and eventually found my groove. When I reached the 1 mile point, a gentleman was calling out our times. I can't remember exactly what he said, but it started with a 10. I was so excited that I was running a sub-11 minute race. OK...now I just have to keep it up.

When we reached the half-way point, once again I heard my time, but can't remember exactly. It was somewhere around 15 minutes. Cool! I might be able to do this in around 31 minutes! All this time I continued to remind myself that whatever time he was calling, I would be able to deduct about 15 seconds for the delay in my start.

Toward the end of the race, I had another woman running near me that I was determined to beat. Unfortunately, I think she had the same idea about me and eventually pulled away. When I crossed the finish line, the clock said 32:something. My PR was 32:44 from July's Save the River 5K in Clayton, so I knew I would have a new PR today.



Post-Race:
After getting some water, food, and a chair massage, I headed home to rest for the remainder of the day and wait for the official results to be posted on the Syracuse Chargers website. It took awhile, but eventually I found my official time: 32:49. WHAT?!?!?! There's no way that could be correct!!!! I know I could deduct at least 15 seconds from that time because that's about how long it took me to cross the Start line. Apparently they didn't deduct the time and now I'm really ticked off because of it. I know in my mind that I ran at worse 32:34, but can I "legally" consider that my new PR? I really wish I had brought my watch with me so I could time it myself, but can I even consider that my official time? Needless to say, I'm NOT HAPPY!!!!!

Next Time:
* Start closer to the front to get a better time
* Bring your watch so you can time it yourself...and learn how to use the stop watch feature before the race
* Keep pushing: you know deep down that this was a good effort (actually, your BEST effort!) and it will keep getting better with each 5K you do

Not sure when my next 5K will be, but I'll be sure to continue to push hard. I am going to try to do at least one 5K a month between now and the spring. Who knows, maybe I'll even throw in a 10K...maybe not! I grabbed a bunch of race flyers both at Fleet Feet and at yesterday's race, so I have a lot to pick from. I want to find out from some training partners when they will be racing so I have someone to race with. However, I was happy to have the Y girls there yesterday and I even made a new Facebook friend with one of them!

TTFN!

2 comments:

  1. Nice job!! I would consider it a PR if it were me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job. I thought the chip timing was off, too, but I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete