Saturday, October 9, 2010

Trek Breast Cancer Awareness Ride

I wanted to get one more bike "race" in before winter hit. Luckily, the Trek Breast Cancer Awareness Ride was scheduled for today. The ride was hosted by Syracuse Bicycle and was held at Green Lakes State Park. Not actually a race, but riders had a choice between a 10 mile ride on the Erie Canal path and a 25 mile ride through the park and on the surrounding roads. Since I am running the LaFayette Apple Run 5K tomorrow, I didn't want to overdue it, so I decided on the 10 mile ride.

As I pulled into the parking lot, I saw my friend Shawn from the YMCA and I waved her down.



She came over to the car and I was happy to hear she was also doing the 10 mile ride, so we decided to stick together. After the organizers addressed the crowd, they sent the 25 milers on their way and then it was our turn to head out.



The weather couldn't have been better. A perfect, cool Fall day. It's days like this that make me happy I live where I do. The ride was an out and back ride and it was smooth sailing without many obstacles except for an occasional pile of horse poop. Man, some of those piles were big!


I know this is gross, but I just had to take a picture! It looked like a dinosaur had been through!

At the half way point, we stopped for water and M&Ms, then we headed back to enjoy more of the scenery.





Toward the end of the ride I saw what I thought was the biggest pile of horse poop I've ever seen, but it ended up to be a snapping turtle.



After the ride, we were treated to some pasta and pizza. They ended the day recognizing some breast cancer survivors and handing out some door prizes. Shawn was lucky and won a nice Trek tech shirt. A fun day was had by all.



Next up, tomorrow's LaFayette Apple Run 5K. Can you say hills?

If things go as planned, this will be the site of my next tri (The Green Lakes Triathlon) in June 2011.



TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment