Thursday, December 30, 2010

A Look Ahead to 2011

The saying "What a difference a year makes!" certainly is true for me. Recently I was reflecting back to the November 2009 Jingle Bell Run and remembered that I had to walk part of it because I was so out of shape. The last two weekends I ran 90 min and 75 min and tomorrow I will do at least 90 min. Last year if you had asked me if I could run 90 min, I would have thought you were crazy. Now, it may not be a piece of cake, but I can do it without stopping. My in-laws live in Alexandria Bay during the summer and I can recall watching their neighbor across the street going out for a 7 mile run in preparation for the Boilermaker. At the time I thought he was crazy for both running 7 miles and for running the Boilermaker. Today, I can run 7 miles myself and I plan to run the Boilermaker this summer. Funny how things change.

So, speaking of the Boilermaker, I am ready to release my race plan for 2011. Drumroll please...

Sunday, January 23, 1:00 PM, Cazenovia: Chilly Chili 5K
Can't go wrong when there is a chili cookoff at the finish line

Saturday, February 12, 10:00 AM, Onondaga Lake Park: Cupid's Chase 5K
Nothing terribly special about this race, just something to break up the winter

Saturday, March 5, 10:00 AM, Burnet Park: Tipperary Hill Shamrock Run 4 miles
I'm Irish and you run past all the bars in the Tipperary Hill neighborhood, need I say more?

Sunday, March 20, Time TBD, North Area YMCA: Indoor Triathlon
This will be a good way to see how I'm doing during the off-season in each discipline

May ?, Time TBD, Du at the Lakes:
My first Du of RunBikeRun

Sunday, May 1, : Mountain Goat Run 10 mile
This is another race I thought I would never do. I just hope it's not as hot as last year's was.

Saturday, June 11, 8:30 AM, Green Lakes State Park: Green Lakes Sprint Triathlon
The first of three triathlons planned for this year

Sunday, July 10, Time?, Utica, NY: The Boilermaker 15K
This is the race I thought was crazy and now I want to do it...where's the straight-jacket?

Sunday, August 7, 7:00 AM, Oneida Shores Park: Iron Girl Sprint Triathlon
A return to better my time from last year...I hope!

Sunday, August 28...I think!, 9:00 AM, Clayton, NY: River Rat Triathlon
2010 was the inagural race and I probably could have done it after Iron Girl. Mentally I just wasn't preparing for another triathlon

Right now, I think this is as far ahead as I'm going to plan. I ran 7 races this fall and I'm probably going to try to do most of them again in hopes that I will improve my time. But, time will tell if I want to do them again or if I can as long as I stay injury free.

The only other race I might do is a half marathon in October. There is an inagural race that I would like to participate in called the Empire State Full and Half Marathon. I am hoping to work behind the scenes on this race, so I'm not sure if I will be able to compete. If not, then a half marathon is definitely going to be on my race list for 2012, but that is way too far away to start thinking about.

So, that's it for now. Hope I will see some of you at these races so we can share our stories.

TTFN!

1 comment:

  1. What a great year you had and have planned in 2011!! Can't wait to see all those PR's drop even more!

    ReplyDelete