Sunday, December 19, 2010

An Interesting Day in the Life of This Runner

Well, I thought my next post was going to be a list of next years race plan, but that will have to wait. Yesterday was an interesting day in my running life, so I figured I better write about it.

Major Run!
As most of you know, I belong to the Kevin Collins running group through the YMCA and on Saturday's we do our long run. The first week, which was 10 weeks ago, we had to run 15-30 minutes. I chose the 30 minutes because A) I had already been running 30 minutes pretty consistently and B) there was no way I was going to drive 25 minutes to Green Lakes State Park, run only 15 minutes, then drive 25 minutes home. So, every other week, our long run would increase by 15 minutes. Therefore, on weeks 3 & 4 we had to run 30-45 minutes, weeks 5 & 6 we had to run 45-60 minutes, and so on.

Yesterday was week 10 and we had to run 75-90 minutes. Up until yesterday, the longest I had ever run at one time was 67 minutes at the Thanksgiving Day Turkey Trot 10K. Last week I ran 60 minutes in the morning then ran another 32 minutes at the It's a Wonderful Run 5K, so that was the most I had run in one day, but not all at the same time. Yesterday was definitely going to be interesting.

I arrived at the park, got my layers on in the car, and headed over to the group. I didn't recognize anyone. Great! I have to do this alone?!?! Luckily, Kevin joined me for the first 30 minutes or so. On previous Green Lakes runs we headed out on the Erie Canal Tow Path, but I was told that the snow makes it impossible to run on. So, we ran "the bowl" which is basically up a hill and back down it, then up another hill and back down it. Hills? Great! I love them! (Not quite!)

Anyway, as we came back to the parking lot, Kevin had me go ahead because someone I knew was up ahead and I wanted to catch up with her. I ran the next 40 minutes or so with her and three other people, then her time ended. Two of the women in that group finished my run with me. I was doing great until about the last 10 minutes or so. I had bought the pair of running shoes I was wearing back in April or May. I knew I was overdue to get a new pair because they say to get a new pair every 300 miles or so. I have no idea how many miles were on them, but I knew it was more than 300 miles. And recently I could feel that I was due. The outside of my left foot has been bugging me on and off for the last couple weeks. It doesn't hurt when I run, but once in awhile when I'm sitting it will ache a little. During the last 10 minutes yesterday I got a sharp pain in the arch of my left foot. So, I decided right then and there that I was going to Fleet Feet on the way home.

So, to finish up my run story, I ran for a total of 90 minutes for a distance of 7.23 miles. It was actually a little more because my Garmin took awhile to locate the satellites and I didn't start my stop watch for a couple minutes or so into the run. Today as I write this, my legs are aching...BAD! But, its a good ache!

New Shoes!
Since I was on the East side of town, I thought it would be a good idea to stop at Fleet Feet on my way home. They hadn't been open long, so it wasn't busy and I got someone to wait on me right away. They brought out 3 pairs of running shoes including the updated version of my old shoes. They all felt pretty good, but my thought was that I had good results with my old shoes, so I would go with the updated ones.



During the Green Lakes run, I was very nervous about all the hard packed snow. So, while I was at Fleet Feet, I also picked up a pair of Yak Trax. Santa doesn't know it yet, but they will be in my stocking Christmas morning. (Don't tell Santa, but actually, the empty box will be there because I will be using them this week...shhh!)



I'm a little sad to retire my old shoes because I've done a lot in them. My first triathlon, my first 10K, my current 5K PR, my longest run ever.



They won't be retired completely, just worn to Wegman's instead of training. For now, I've got to look ahead to even more with my new shoes.

TTFN!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome accomplishment!! You have certainly made huge improvements this year!!

    ReplyDelete