Monday, February 21, 2011

Injuries are Tough When You're an All or Nothing Kind of Person

So, its been over a month since I've last posted. Life has turned upside down in that time period:

1) Dan went back to work. This is the first time he's worked outside of the house in over two years.

2) Because Dan is no longer working from home, I had to decrease my work hours. I'm now working 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM so I can get Alex on and off the bus each day.

3) At work, I'm now doing the work of two people. Because I've got more work and less time, I'm very stressed.

4) I have a stress fracture in my left foot, so my training is very limited.

Even though my life has turned upside down, its not all bad. 1 & 2 are actually pretty good. Obviously I'm glad Dan is no longer on unemployment and I'm really liking the lighter work schedule. 3 & 4 aren't so good. 3 was really bad up until a couple weeks ago because we had a big event in Albany that I was responsible for, but since it's over, its not so bad any more.

And then theres 4. Not happy about that one. Luckily, I'm almost at the end of my limited training. Let me back track a bit on this story:

On Sunday, January 23, I ran the Chilly Chili 5K in Cazenovia. "Chilly" is an understatement to describe the conditions that day. The temp was about 7*, but the windchill made it feel like -7*. I knew a PR was not going to happen that day. It was just nice to have something to do to break up the winter. Plus, there was chili and beer at the finish line. Doesn't get much better than that! Anyway, my finish time was 33:53 for 640th place out of 860 participants. After the race, we walked to the chili cook off to enjoy the festivities before heading home.

On Monday, I got up and participated in my normal 6:00 AM spin class. The class went well and I headed home. I got home, took off my winter boots, started to walk in the house, and then I felt pain shooting through my left foot. Over the previous few weeks, I would feel a slight bit of pain there, but I figured it was just my foot adjusting to my added mileage. Since December, I had been participating in the Intermediate level of the YMCA/Kevin Collins running group. I had gotten up to over 8 miles and almost two hours for my long runs. During those runs, I felt fine, so I really didn't have any major signs that something was wrong. All day Monday, I limped around work. When I got home from work, I stupidly played "Just Dance 2" on the Wii with my husband and son. It hurt a lot, but I was having too much fun to care. After Wii, I iced my foot the rest of the night and hoped I would wake up all healed.

On Tuesday, the pain was still there. I continued to limp around at work that morning, but I knew I had to see my doctor. I called and luckily he has a group practice with another doctor that is a foot specialist. So, they had me get an x-ray first then I headed to the doc. His diagnosis was a stress fracture and it would take 4-6 weeks to heal. He wanted me to not do any training for one week then I could start up with things like swimming and upper body weight lifting. I left there with a lovely air cast:

Now, one major problem I have is that I'm an all or nothing type of person. Once he told me I couldn't train for a week, I had a really hard time getting back in the swing of things in a limited mode. If I couldn't go all out like I had been doing, then I wasn't going to do anything. Since my diagnosis, I've done two things: Core Conditioning class last Tuesday and some aqua jogging yesterday with Erin who is also rehabbing an injury. On top of that, I've really let my eating slide. When I was in full blown training mode, donuts rarely made it to my lips. Since my injury, I've lost track of the number I've eaten. I'm pretty disgusted with myself and can't wait to get clearance from my doctor. Today I went for a follow up x-ray and will revisit the doctor on Friday. Hopefully I'll get the all clear signal and can get back to work next week. If not, I'll have to really dig deep to change my all or nothing mindset. I'll try not to wait so long to post...hopefully I'll actually get on Friday or this weekend sometime to update what the doc says. Wish me luck!


1 comment: