Sunday, March 6, 2011

Tipperary Hill Shamrock Run...or should I say Walk...Race Report

I'll use "Race Report" loosely since I wasn't really racing. After my stress fracture, the last thing I should be doing is racing. But, I was eager to get out with other like-minded people to celebrate St. Patrick's Day in a fun, fit way. So, once I felt I could walk the Tipperary Hill Shamrock Run course, I signed up and looked forward to the race.

Actually, the one thing I look forward to most is getting the race shirt. On Friday night, I headed up to Burnet Park to pick race packets for me and fellow walker Erin. It took me forever to get there in rush hour traffic, but I made it. Unfortunately, it took me so long to get there, that poor Alex had to miss his karate practice. Oh well. I loved that we got tech shirts, but I didn't love that they were huge. I'm getting to be like Coach Kelly and think there should be women's fit shirts. Note to self: if it's a co-ed race and everyone gets the same shirt: order a Small. If it's a women's race: order a Large.



Saturday morning I picked up Erin and headed toward Tipp Hill. We found a parking space at the park and headed up toward the start line. The temperature wasn't too bad in the 50's, but it was damp and raining on and off. Luckily, they had turf down on the ice rink and that is where they had everyone gather. Erin and I found some YMCA friends like Nanette, Christine, and Shawn. We all headed outside with about 15 minutes to go and Shawn got this nice picture of us waiting for the gun to sound.



Pretty soon we were off. Shawn wanted to run as much of the race as possible, but Erin and I were walking the whole thing. I was pretty surprised to see Paula, a frind and soccer teammate from high school, just as I was passing the Start line. I think she was there volunteering. The highlight during the first mile was passing by the upside-down traffic light.



Soon we were passing by the famous Coleman's and then eventually the Blarney Stone.



The Blarney Stone has a special place in my heart because that is where we watched the Syracuse University men's basketball team win the NCAA Championship in 2003. For 3 weekends in a row, a group of us watched the first game at our friend Mike's house and the second game at the Blarney Stone. I will never forget that Monday night 8 years ago as long as I live.

It seemed like we were walking forever before hitting the halfway point. I think we made it there in about 33 minutes or so and that was with 2 stops to take pictures. At about the 2.5 mile point we made a goal to pass 5 people before the Finish line. We got rained on a little at this point, but we started picking off people one by one. By the time we got to the Finish line we had passed 31 people. Woo hoo! I'm really happy we did because we only "beat" 53 people, so without those 31 people passed, we would have only "beat" 22 people. Hey, you got to take the small victories when you get them!

So, in the end, we finished with a time of 1:03:42. We would have love to finish in under 1 hour, but considering we are both re-habbing injuries, we'll take it. The goal for next year is to run it.

Before I go, I have to give kudos to my running coach Kevin Collins. He's been having us run sprints and hills and I've hated it. But, I don't know if we could have passed all the people we did without that training. A lot of the people we passed were on the hills. And I really don't remember too many people passing us. So, thanks Coach Kevin!

Gotta go. Next post is my "big" announcement.

TTFN!

2 comments:

  1. You and Erin did awesome! Keep on that healing path!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice (and smart) job. Can't wait for the big announcement!

    ReplyDelete