Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend 2011!

Although the weather is pretty iffy this time of year, you've gotta love the unofficial start of the summer. Ever since I started dating Dan, Memorial Day weekend always meant heading to Alexandria Bay to stay with his parents for the weekend. Up until 5 years ago or so, they lived in North Syracuse and had their place up in "the Bay" as their summer camp. However, recently, they live there during the summer and in Florida in the winter.

This year, Dan and Alex had Friday off, so once I got out of work at 3:00, we rushed to get out of town. On Thursday, I checked out the storage space of my new vehicle, a Toyota Rav4, and came to the conclusion that we wouldn't have enough room for Alex, our 95 lb black lab Campbell, our luggage, and my bike. I was very bummed that the bike would probably have to stay home. All day Friday I thought there had to be a way to get it in the space we had. As soon as I got home, I worked my magic and got everything in. Woo hoo! Since I was going to be away, I was going to miss Saturday's training ride at Green Lakes, so I really wanted to bring it with me to get in a ride or two.

Soon we were on our way and soon we ran into rain. Great! I hoped the entire weekend wouldn't be a washout.





The further we drove north, the colder it got. When we left the house the temperature read 70*. By the time we got to my in-laws it was 55*. Great! Rainy AND cold! Just what I want!

Next thing we knew we were getting off our exit. Yeah!



My brother-in-law and his wife have a place next door to my in-laws. They have two little girls and Alex loves to play with them. He brought his portable DVD player up and they had fun watching some movies and playing.



Ever since I've been running more this winter, I've had it in my mind that once I got back up to camp, I was going to run across the Thousand Island Bridge. A neighbor of my in-laws at camp goes out for 7 mile runs and I've always thought he was crazy. But now I'M the crazy one. So, I decided Saturday morning would be the day.

I went to put my Garmin on and noticed the battery died on it. So, I quickly downloaded a free app on my phone called My Tracks so I could determine the distance and I was on my way.



I got to the base of the bridge on the mainland and started making my way up, up, up. I motivated myself with reminders of the Mountain Goat about a month ago. Next thing I know, I'm at the peak heading down toward Welsley Island. There's not much to offer in terms of running paths at the base of the bridge, so I touched the Island and turned to make my way back to the mainland. This next picture is making my way back to the peak on my return trip.



The next picture is taken from the peak facing toward the South West.



This view is facing toward the North East. Not much of a view with all the bridge in the way. But in between you can see Swan Bay where my in-laws live.



Now that Alex is six years old, we decided to treat him to a go-cart ride for the first time at the Alex Bay 500. He was very excited about it...until we sat in the car. Is it going to be loud? Don't go too fast! I only want to go one lap! All his worries ended within 5 seconds and he was squealing with delight.



The weather was pretty good all weekend with the exception of a big thunderstorm that chased us inside for awhile.



We woke up Monday morning to beautiful sunshine and blue skies. I was pretty sure it was going to get pretty hot out, so I decided to do my training early. I went for a bike ride out and back on Route 12 on Sunday. But on Monday, I wanted to ride the bike course of the River Rat Triathlon which will take place in late August. I'm not totally sure I'm going to do the tri, but I wanted to ride the course because of the hills. I knew it would be a good replacement for the missed Green Lakes ride. I drove my bike into the town of Clayton and parked just about where the triathlon will start.



I didn't take any pictures during my ride, but it was a good one with about 4 big hills...great prep for Green Lakes. I was very happy at the end because I really feel good about shifting now. My legs were literally shaking when I was finished. I wanted to make it a brick, so I headed out for what I wanted to be a 5K. Right after I started I was beat. I wasn't even a mile in and all I wanted to do was turn back to my vehicle. But, I shuffled along and ran about 2.5 miles.

The highlight is running across the small bridge to Washington Island. It's a tiny island with a loop that the triathlon run course will go on and also the Save the River 5K which I've run the last two years and plan to run again at the end of July. It's so pretty and there's always such a nice breeze. I just wanted to run back and forth on that little bridge all day.



So, now we're home and back to reality. My training was great this weekend covering 32.5 miles on the bike and about 8.5 miles running. My eating wasn't all that great, but what can you expect on a holiday weekend and when you're eating at someone else's house? At work today we had a catered lunch from Dinosaur BBQ, so my plan is to concentrate on eating better starting tomorrow. My grocery shopping trip to Wegman's this afternoon was successful and full of heathly stuff, so I'm hoping I can get back on track.

TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment