Tuesday, July 12, 2011

4th of July...a little late

I'm about a week behind on my blogging. My company had their annual golf tournament yesterday and I was in charge of organizing it. I've been so wrapped up in that, that I forgot to write about 4th of July. A couple days ago I ran my first 15K, but that report will have to wait a bit.

Family Fun
Before I write about all the training I was able to get in, I'll tell you about the family fun we had. The weather we had for the three day holiday weekend can be summed up in one word: Perfect! Temps in the 80's, no rain during the day, and barely a cloud in the sky. Every morning I would get my training done then we headed to the water's edge for the rest of the day.

At first Alex was timid to jump in the water. But, once he got the hang of it, he LOVED it!

Alex had a few cousins up at the River with us. Here Alex and his cousin Ella are relaxing by the water after having some fun swimming.

One thing I was really looking forward to was training. I enjoy training up at the River because I'm not on a schedule and I can do it whenever I please and pretty much for as long as I please.

On Saturday, I got up and drove my bike to Clayton so I could ride the River Rat bike course. According to my Garmin, I rode 15.83 miles in just under an hour. I hadn't been sure if I was really going to register for the River Rat race in August, but after riding the course for the second time, I'm pretty sure that I am going to do it. The only thing that could hold me back is an injury...knock on wood! The race is three weeks after Iron Girl, so that will give me plenty of time to recover, train a bit more, and be ready. Last year was the inagual race and I checked the times of women in my age group. If I raced last year, I think I could have placed or come pretty close. Hmmmm....maybe a goal for this year's race? Anyway, the ride was great and I even stopped for a few minutes to view some fish in the pond next to the Frontenac Springs Bottling Company.

On Sunday, I had a 90 min long run scheduled. Usually for my runs, I head out on Route 12, run half way, then turn around and come back. The run is very boring and there is little scenery. Since I was going to run for so long, I wanted to mix it up and go somewhere I could have something enjoyable to look at. I first thought about driving over the bridge to Wellesely Island, but I really didn't feel like getting in the car, paying money to drive over the bridge, have to find somewhere to park, then run 90 min.

Eventually, I decided to run Route 12, but to make it more enjoyable, I would go down some side streets toward the water. I really wish I pulled my camera out more because I really had some nice views. The first side street I went down went around the land that creates Swan Bay. Every time we go down by the water I see the other side of the bay, but I've never known how to get there...now I do! the second side street I went down was equally as pretty. There was a hotel down there called the Channel View that I had never known about...until now! Here is a picture of the view of the channel near the motel:

I started heading back home from here. On the way, I passed some longhorns that Alex loves:

I also saw what we call the Oreo Cookie cows:

When I was done, I had run 7.57 miles in just a touch over 90 min. This would be my last long run before Boilermaker.

Monday I had two workouts: an open water swim and an easy bike ride. For the open water swim, I had Dan and Alex escort me in the kayak. I have an app on my phone that measures workouts, so I had Dan carry it in the kayak with him to see if it could measure my swim. When you're done it shows a red line showing you where you went. The red line on my swim zig zagged all over the place and said I swam 1.5 miles. I would love to believe it, but I don't think so. Later I looked at a map and it looked more like I did just over a mile which is still pretty good in my mind for a 30 min swim.

For my easy bike ride, I rode down Route 12 to the village of Alex Bay and back, making a side trip down one of the side streets I ran down on Sunday. I ended up riding 10.41 miles in 48:06. I think I might have gone a little harder than I should have. I don't have my bike HR zones memorized, so I was just winging it.

Unfortunately we had to head home that night. Back to the reality of squeezing in training early in the morning and around everyone else's schedules. I will miss him dearly, but Alex is heading up to the River to stay with my in-laws for a few days starting tomorrow, so my training schedule can be a bit more flexible which I'll enjoy.

Next post should be soon and it will be about my adventures as a Boilermaker virgin.


No comments:

Post a Comment