Sunday, July 31, 2011

Let the Iron Girl Taper Week Begin!

Today is Taper Week Eve and is the last "hard" day before taper week begins. All my hard work will slow down for the next week in preparation for next Sunday's Iron Girl sprint triathlon. I can't believe it's been a year since I ran my first. In some ways I feel that I've made a lot of progress, but I also feel like I've slipped a little. I guess the results next week will tell.

Yesterday was the last Iron Girl course ride. On Wednesday at CNY Tri practice, Coach Kelly had me ride in zones. I was to ride in zone 2 for the first loop, zone 3 for the second loop, then finish back in zone 2. I felt like I was going so slow. We talked yesterday and decided that my zones probably need some adjusting since they were set last Aug or Sep. For yesterday's ride, I really wanted to ride by feel to simulate the race. I was disappointed to finish the ride in about the same amount of time I finished it in last year's race. Really?!?!?! I was hoping for so much better. Hopefully the excitement of the race will give me a shot of adrenaline and help me go faster next Sunday.

As for yesterday's run, I was very pleased with how well I did. I can't remember exactly the time or the distance, but my pace was 10:05 which is one second faster than my current 5K PR pace. This really gives me hope since I ran that pace AFTER riding the bike course. I'm thinking the run and transitions will help me improve overall over last year's time.

Today I went for my last long run. I started at the Good Dog Park at Onondaga Lake Park and headed to the other end of the park. Since today was Parkway Sunday, the Parkway was closed to traffic, so I was able to stretch my run out to almost the train bridge. I turned around at the 45 minute mark and started to head back to the car. At about the hour mark, my left foot started to feel a little bit sore. I hoped it would go away, but it didn't. Not wanting to get re-injured before the race, I decided to call it a day at about the 1:16:00 mark.

I walked the rest of the way and enjoyed the nice weather and the scenery. Not as nice as pictures taken by Bree Wee in Hawaii for her blog, but nice for CNY...





Got some good news about race day this morning. My good friend "Flo" came to visit this morning which means she won't be here on race day...woo hoo!

TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment