Monday, December 12, 2011

My Tri Future

COACHING CROSSROADS

I'm in a weird place right now. About a month ago I declared my intention to register for the Syracuse 70.3. I made this declaration after riding the hilliest part of the bike course. I hate hills, so I needed proof that these hills would not get in my way of finishing the race. I wouldn't be concerned with my time...well, I would be concerned if I didn't finish in under the time limit of 8 hours (I think that's the time limit)...I would just be concerned with finishing. The hills are at the beginning of the bike, so I was concerned that they would derail me early. But, I proved that I could do it without walking, so I pretty much convinced myself that I could do it.

I got into a funk right around that time and Coach Kelly gave me a call to give me a pep talk and some motivation. Although not officially advertised yet, she told me about a triathlon boot camp weekend that was going to be offered on the 70.3. Knowing I could get some intense training during that weekend, I was convinced even more that I could do it.

However, a week later I was informed that Coach Kelly wasn't going to coach through the YMCA any longer. Although I know it was a business decision, it took the wind out of my sails. If I am going to do the 70.3, I need a coach. So, the question became, do I go with Kelly to her new coaching organization (T2 Multisport) or do I stay with the Y and an unknown coach. Money is always an issue for me and T2 would be more expensive. But, I'm thinking I need to stay with Kelly because she gets me and this is not the time to try to get someone new to "get me." So, right now I'm trying to figure everything out. Coach Kelly, if you're reading this, I hope to get this figured out soon! :)

2012 RACE SCHEDULE

This is the time of year to start planning my race schedule. This will all be tied in with my coaching decision. But, as of right now, here is what I would like to do:

JANUARY:
Chilly Chili 5K: Last year it was -7* out for this race and the next day the stress fracture in my right foot showed its ugly head.

FEBRUARY:
Lake Effect Half Marathon: This will be my first half. I registered for this yesterday and hopefully will give me some motivation to get up off my butt and start training again

MARCH:
Tipp Hill Shamrock 4 Mile Run: I had to walk this last year because I was getting over my stress fracture, so I'm looking forward to running it this year.

APRIL:
Not sure, but maybe the Duathlon at Green Lakes

MAY:
Mountain Goat 10 Mile Run: Due to lack of time training last year because of my stress fracture, I had to walk the hills. This year I plan on running the entire time.

JUNE:
Syracuse 70.3????: Still up in the air and will depend on my coaching situation. At the very least, I will participate in the relay.

Corporate Challenge 3.5 Mile Run: Depending on if I do the 70.3 and how close the two races are to each other, I may do this with my co-workers. I have to redeem myself from a disappointing performance in this year's race.

JULY:
Musselman Half Iron????: Again, up in the air...if I do a half, I will do Syracuse or this, but not both.

Boilermaker 15K: Want to improve on last year's time

AUGUST:
Iron Girl Syracuse Sprint Tri: Want to improve on last year's time...and this year I WILL beat Coach Kelly to Route 11! (Not sure about Coach, but I move to an older age group this year, so that may give me an extra 5 minutes!)

SEPTEMBER:
Not sure, but maybe the ARC Half Marathon

OCTOBER:
If I work for the Empire State Marathon again, I will pretty much be out of commission this month. If not, then maybe I'll do the half.

NOVEMBER:
Jingle Bell Run 5K: Fun way to get in the spirit of the holidays

DECEMBER:
It's a Wonderful Run 5K: I ran it last year and it was OK. Sounds like I missed a lot of fun with friends this year, so I may go back.

1 comment:

  1. sounds like you have a very busy 2012! I would stick with your coach that you like if you can swing it. It's hard to find a good coach you like!

    ReplyDelete