Saturday, January 21, 2012

Adjustments Need to be Made

I've completed my first full week of 70.3 training and I definitely need to make adjustments.

I've discovered a theory of mine is true: I can't workout past 8:00 PM or falling asleep is impossible. Well, not impossible...but if I need to get up the next day at 5:00 AM, then I'm not going to get to sleep early enough for me to wake up at that time and actually be able to function properly. I need to get my workouts done first thing in the morning (between 5:00 AM and 7:00 AM) or right after work. I get out of work at 3:00 PM to get Alex off the bus at 3:45 PM then I help him with his homework for a little while. In a perfect world, I would get a second workout done after homework and before dinner.

That brings me to dinner. This second workout would be at the same time I would be cooking dinner. How am I going to do both? My adjustment: become better friends with my Crock Pot.



How easy will it be to turn it on when I leave for work and have dinner done around the time Dan gets home at 5:45ish? The other day I went through and picked out a dozen recipes each for beef, pork, and poultry dishes and I assigned them to certain days for the next few weeks. My hope is that I will do a Crock Pot dish on Monday with leftovers on Tuesday. Another dish on Wednesday with leftovers on Thursday. We usually go out to eat on Friday and Dan makes pizza on Saturday. Since we are home on Sunday, we can make a dinner that is more involved. I'm going to give this a shot for the next few weeks and see how it goes. The trick is going to be finding something that Alex will eat too. Hmmm...may be my biggest challenge!

And then there's swimming...I hate trying to find time to find a lane at the Y. And I hate circle swimming. Actually, let me clarify. I don't mind circle swimming if I'm in a class, but I hate circle swimming when everyone in the lane is doing their own thing. So, I thought I found a perfect way to get in three swims a week:
1) Master's Swim, Sunday morning at 8:15 AM
2) Tri Swim Clinic, Wednesday night at 7:20 PM
3) Open Swim Lane during Alex's swim lesson, Friday afternoon at 4:40 AM

So, yesterday, I bring Alex to swim and I start stripping down to my suit and putting flippers, my cap, goggles, etc. at the end of the lane. Next thing I know, the lifeguard is telling me the lane is for swim lessons. Since when?!?!?! I've been swimming during Alex's swim lessons for a couple of months! I'm told the change happened January 2...oh, by the way Miss Lifeguard, I swam during his lesson on January 6 and no one said a thing. CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! What really infuriated me was they had 5 small kids taking up two lanes and part of the time they weren't even in the lanes, they were diving off the edge outside of both lanes.

Now I'm going to have to 1) go down to two days of swimming (coach probably isn't going to go for that) or 2) find another time to swim. Not looking forward to possibly doing it in the early morning. There are four lanes at 5:30 AM, but there are LOTS of people there trying to use them. Back to the drawing board I guess to make more adjustments. Booooo!

2 comments:

  1. I ADORE my crockpot. I usually try to make one crockpot dish a week. another idea is to really make use of the Sunday, and make stuff you can just pull out of the fridge during the week, chop up all of your veggies for the week, do a lot of prep for during the week,etc.

    As far as the swimming dilemma, I totally feel your pain!! Maybe an early Saturday swim is a possibility??

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is definitely a juggling act! I started sneaking 20-30 minute naps over my lunch break. It helps a lot if you can manage it. Oh yea - and big pots of whatever that can last for days will be your best friend.

    ReplyDelete