Saturday, January 14, 2012

Syracuse 70.3 Training Day 1: 162 Days and Counting



Today was my first official day of training for the Syracuse 70.3 on June 24 which is 162 days away...23 weeks from tomorrow. Some people might think that's a lot of time, but I know it's not. I mean, it's definitely enough time for me to get ready, but it will go by fast...VERY FAST! I have definitely found a way for summer to arrive quicker than normal!

Today's workout from Coach Kelly was my long run. Last week's long run of 90 minutes went well for the first 80 minutes, then that's when the problems started. For some reason, my right knee started hurting. Not shooting, sharp pains, but just an overall soreness. I slowed to a walk and it felt better, so I started to run again. After a minute or so, it returned. This continued for the rest of my run. I was kind of bummed because I was aiming for an 8+ mile run and I only reached 7.95. Yeah, I know I only missed it by 0.05, but that kind of stuff ticks me off.

For the rest of the day my knee hurt and I had a lot of soreness just walking around the house. It did feel better after taking some ibuprofen, but I didn't want to just cover the pain, I wanted it to go away for good. On Sunday it felt better and it felt even better on Monday. Wednesday was my next run, so I borrowed an old knee brace from my hubby and I had no pain at all. Wore the same brace today and had absolutely not pain. I didn't even have any pain in my foot which has been bothering me with what I suspect is plantar faciaitis.

Of course, Coach Kelly had me do a combo walk/run which on one hand is fine because I knew it would help me recover and get back on track, but on the other hand it made me mad because I don't want to regress because I'm also training for my first half marathon in 6 weeks. Frustrating, but I obeyed.

Coach Kevin's run group was going to Green Lakes Park today, but it was snowing a lot in the morning, so I decided to head to Onondaga Lake Park instead because 1) it's closer and 2) this is where the half is. When I got there it was snowing pretty hard. If anything, it would help me be prepared in case the half has weather like this. During the first quarter to third of my run, I met a lot of runners coming toward me. Then all of a sudden, I was by myself. It was so peaceful. The quiet and the lightly falling snow was amazing. At one point, I couldn't see a single person ahead of me which is odd for this park...and I loved it! My legs were a little chilled, but I was pretty comfortable.

My run was 15 min warm up with a walk/jog...I did a 13 min easy run with 2 min walk. Then for the last hour I did 18 min easy run with 2 min walk between. I finished with a 75 min run completing 5.67 miles. Again, frustrating because I ran 2+ miles more last week, but I need to be patient. When I got home and downloaded my workout in Training Peaks I discovered I was supposed to run 90 min...oh well!

My hubby and son met me after my run and I documented day one of Syracuse 70.3 with this picture:



So, an overall good start to my training.

If you ready my post from yesterday, you read I'm also diving into my crafting. And today I came up with a name for my business. Not going to announce it here until I make it official with the appropriate government officials, but I'm pretty happy with the name and the colors I chose.

Oh, and since nutrition has been a hurdle of mine, I'm concerned with it for the race. I came up with a creative way to police my eating: any time I want to eat something I'm going to ask myself, "Is this 70.3 worthy?" If there's any doubt in my mind, I'm not going to eat it.

Well, going to work on a craft or two before the Syracuse University Basketball game. And after that, going to head out for a girls night out for a friend's 50th birthday. Maybe some pics of that tomorrow.

TTFN!

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, so excited for you! Looking forward to reading about your training journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the new nutrition strategy!! Nice work, and don't be discouraged with the mile numbers! You are out there getting it done by the minutes, and that is what counts right now!!

    ReplyDelete