Saturday, June 2, 2012

Countdown: 3 Weeks To Go

Three weeks from right now I will be in my bed trying desperately to get to sleep. Yeah, like I'm going to sleep the day before my first 70.3. I haven't been able to sleep the last two Iron GIRL's, so how the heck am I going to sleep for a Half IronMAN???

The race is starting to get very real. A week or two ago, they posted the cap colors and swim start times. I'm happy to report after getting green caps for two years in a row at Iron Girl (Seriously?!?! Don't they keep track of these things?!?! This is like a souvenir. Would I buy the same exact shirt two years in a row if I vacationed at the same location??? NO!!!! So, why would I want the same color swim cap???), I will be wearing a yellow swim cap. And my swim wave starts at 7:15 AM. Nervous to go off so early, but glad to just get it going and it will give me some extra time to play with. Tonight I found out my race number: #326.

I even started checking out my competition. Looks like there are 36 in my age group, including myself. And I'll be the young one in the group since they bumped me up to the 45-49 age group because I turn 45 this calendar year. I also checked out last year's results for my age group to see what the times were like and to see if anyone was returning. It looks like 5 are returning from the 45-49 AG from last year and 2 are returning from the 40-44 AG. I don't know why I checked them out...like I'm actually going to give them competition??? Yeah right! I guess I just want to know if I'm going to make a fool of myself or if I can hold my own with these ladies. According to educated guesses on my times, I should finish in the bottom quarter. But, I can live with that! As long as I finish!

This week has been a bad one for training. Monday afternoon I started feeling achy and my throat started feeling sore. It got worse Tuesday and Wednesday and I ended up staying home from work on Thursday and Friday. I feared strep throat, but the rapid test on Friday came back negative. There's always a chance the second test could come back positive, but since I'm feeling a little better now, I think I'll recover on my own. Because of this, I've done no training since Wednesday morning. Today I went out for a long run (1.5 hours) and did OK. Both of my knees are now feeling sore, so I have to find a solution to this problem and fast! It's getting late and I have a 3.5 hour bike ride to do tomorrow.

Think I'll take the printout of last years 45-49 AG results and look them over in bed. Might be just the right kind of reading material I need to make me sleepy. That or it will get me thinking too much and I'll lie in bed awake all night...just like I'll be doing 3 weeks from right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment